Before our arrival a Xario Model SSA-660A equipment, donated by Canon was sent to the “Center de Santé de Sedhiou “.
On 9th October we started obstetric, gynecological and abdominal ultrasound training:
- Ecografía Obstétrica, ginecológica y abdominal.
During the first day we spent the whole morning in theoretical training to explain the basic principles. Subsequently we provided additional theoretical material to add information to each of the following subjects: abdominal ultrasound (anatomy and pathology), Obstetric ultrasound, Gynecological ultrasound, Soft tissue ultrasound (thyroid, breast, and vascular ultrasound). We provided templates for standard formats of obstetric reports.
For practice purposes we set up three small working groups consisting of 3-4 people in each group giving them the opportunity to have direct experience in carrying out the ultrasound studies by themselves:
- Abdominal ultrasound: Dr. Victoria Garriga with the collaboration of Dr. Enric Simó.
- Obstetric and gynecological ultrasound: Dr. María Perez.
- Obstetric and gynecological ultrasound: Dr. Diana Al-Dali.
- Dr. Abdoulaye Sagna – Familia Doctor.
- Dr. Seydou Nourou Seck- Emergency Doctor.
- Ten midwives from different health centers in the region.
In a region of 450,000 inhabitants, where there is only one gynecologist, the work of midwives is admirable. It was a pleasure to share knowledge with these professionals who have also given their best to this project and we worked together in an atmosphere of harmony and collaboration.
Since the visit we have kept in touch and we continue to provide technical support.
At the end of the course, on 12th of October, we moved the Xario equipment to its final destination:
“Poste de Santé de Marsassoum”, where there has not previously been any type of ultrasound service or trained health personnel. This equipment will contribute to the gradual improvement of conditions enabling ultrasound diagnoses to take place at the hospital with no necessity to transfer patients to the department capital Sedhiou. This represents a significant improvement for this population and its surrounding 50,000 inhabitants as they usually do not have their own means of transport.
- We are studying the possibility of contributing to these health centers in order to expand the training of health centre personnel in Dakar.